Tuesday, June 29, 2010

the sigh of the weary

I find myself occasionally living days where I hum the chorus of the folk song Hard Times.  You can find the full text here.  The lyrics are sadly beautiful.  It's a song I think all human beings at some point in their lives find they can relate to.  Here's the chorus:

Tis the song, the sigh of the weary,
Hard Times, hard times, come again no more,
Many days you have lingered around my cabin door;
Oh hard times come again no more. 

You can listen to an arrangement of this song in my playlist.  My favorite version is sung acapella by Eclipse, but I don't know how to post that on my blog.  Anyone who knows how to post a specific song not found on playlist.com, I'd love to hear your instruction!

I haven't had days filled with hunger.  I've always had shelter, food, clothing, and my physical needs met, as most people fortunate enough to live in this country can say.  I have however had my weary days.  Everyone at some point I think experiences deep and thorough weariness, with no obvious or close end in sight.  My Christian brothers and sisters however, know and have faith in happier times to come, because that's what faith in the Savior brings.



After watching this very moving video, I felt a little cheated.  I wanted to know what happened to the family!  What happened to that poor father, his wife and small children?  Then I read more about the video, and realized Elder Holland is telling his own story.  Obviously, he kept his faith and things worked out. 

Have you ever wondered, if the "future you" could visit and give you advice, what it would be?  I'd expect the future Liz would say the same things I'd say now, if I had the chance to advise the struggling seventeen-year-old I was 10 years ago.    

"Hold to your faith.  Believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ.  He never will and cannot fail you, and your life, while not always perfect nor easy, is beautiful and happy.  Hold to your faith.  Your efforts are worth it."

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Liz--I really needed that today!
    How are you holding up?

    Diana Porter

    ReplyDelete